The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer


posted by Emily on , , , ,

No comments

The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer
Hardcover438 pages
Published July 17th 2012 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published 2012)

Summary:

Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairy tales. "The Land of Stories" tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about. But after a series of encounters with witches, wolves, goblins, and trolls alike, getting back home is going to be harder than they thought.

My Review:
Yes. You guys have read it right. This is the Chris Colfer from Glee! I didn't even notice until a friend told me! And don't let it fool you that it's bad because it's amazing! I LOVE it.

I practically had to beg my friend to let me borrow it and I'm glad I did because this book was amazing. Some people might think this book is childish (AHEM, my sister) and it kinda is, but it's a really great retelling of fairy tales. It isn't even really a retelling because Chris Colfer actually gives the fairy tale characters real characteristics. He makes us see a different side of them that wasn't shown on the pages.

I had a suspicion that maybe Charlie Charming, the 4th and youngest Prince Charming, would end up being Alex and Conner's father. That maybe he didn't really die, but he was stuck in the fairy tale world. I was wrong though. He isn't their father. Their father actually died and I was really disappointed that their father wasn't alive.

I love that Chris Colfer made us think differently then how Disney recreated those Disney Princesses. I, as a matter of fact, do know how the real ending of their 'happily ever after'. I researched on it after reading a 'did you know' post on a social network. You guys might want to search it up, it's disgusting how some of them were treated.

And I just have to say, I was crushed when I read about the Evil Queen's story. I started tearing up after I read that part. It was way too sad for me. I love that he made us have sympathy for the Evil Queen. I felt so bad for her and now I completely do not blame her for trying to kill Snow White, but I do suggest that she should have taken a much more calmer approach rather than having her killed.

Overall, this book was absolutely amazing! I love love love love it! And the best part is, it's the first in a series. Yay! I cannot wait to read the other books when they come out. I hope they go back to the other world! 5 Stars!



Leave a Reply

Thanks so much by stopping by and leaving a comment! I love comments and I read everyone!

Powered by Blogger.