![]() |
| Falling in love has never been so dangerous. |
Refuge by Carole Rummage
Dark Light Dance, Book 1
Hardcover, 240 pages
Expected publication: November 13th 2012 by Cedar Fort Inc
Wow. That's all I had to say after finishing this book.
The beginning was heartbreaking. Laney's parents and her brother died in a car crash while trying to get to her gymnastics meet, so she lives with her uncle and aunt now. She later meets Gabe for the first time when he saves her from a wild bear out at the refuge. They talk and both soon find themselves falling in love. Laney then finds out that he has a disease, but she doesn't care, she loved him already. But Laney never actually found out what the disease was and after a while, she still didn't know what it was. Her aunt then urges her to go on a date with this obnoxious jerk named Matthew Purser, so she does, and even though Mathew projects the image of success, he isn't a good person, and near the end, something unexpected happens that breaks Laney's heart again! Don't worry though, there IS a happily ever after!
Ok. Let's stop right here so I can tell you something that I didn't like about this book. So, true love at first sight? That's nice, but I don't believe in that. She talked to him for probably an hour and she's already in love? Let's get real. Or not. It's just a book.But the good things that I loved were the moments when Gabe was so caring and protective of Laney. He sounds like the perfect boyfriend. They are so lovey dovey together and you can tell they really love each other. The author also mentioned Harry Potter, which is a plus. Let's all bow down to our queen, J.K Rowling! Lol(:
Overall, this was a great book from a first time author, but it's a bit too cheesy for me. If you love overly romantic books and a bit of mystery and suspense, than this is a great read for you! Unfortunately, I'm not really into this type of romance so I'll only give this book 3.5 stars.
I have received this book as an ARC copy from Cedar Fort Inc via Netgalley.
Summary:
Laney Lowell moved across the country to escape her past, not to fall in love. But when she becomes friends with Gabe, a handsome artist plagued by a mysterious disease, she'll have to decide between facing his dark truth or walking away from him forever. This thrilling romance is full of twists that will keep you guessing to the last page.


