Blog Tour! The Blood Debt by Nancy Straight
posted by Emily
on
3.5 Stars,
Author Interview,
Blog Tour,
Book Review,
Fantasy,
Mythology,
Nancy Straight,
Paranormal,
Romance,
Young Adult
The Blood Debt by Nancy Straight
ebook, 194 pages
Published July 15th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published July 13th 2012)
Summary:
Her whole life, it had just been the two of them. Before her mother’s last breath, she gave Camille the information she had craved her entire life: the identity of her father. Daring to contact him, Camille was welcomed by an entire family she never knew existed. But nothing comes without a price, as she discovers when her family claims a legendary heritage tracing back to a centaur touched by Zeus.
As she learns the secrets of her Centaur bloodline, she is drawn into a forbidden love with Drake. Her life may be the blood debt required to pay for her mother’s transgressions. The same person who once held her mother captive, and forced her into decades of hiding, now controls Camille. Her only chance is to seek a piece of her mother’s past that will win her freedom and the life she desperately wants.
My Review:
I'm a bit confused with this book. I've never really read anything like this before. I mean, I've read books that have had centaurs in them, but never as a main character. So to me, this is new and I'm not sure if I like it or not.
This is going to be short. I'm sorry about that, but I'm still a bit.. how do I say it.. I don't know, but I can't really think straight after reading this book! I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
I can say that this is one of the most weirdest books I've read. In a good way. It's really different and really good. If you're into fantasy books, this is the one for you.
Overall, this book was exactly not what I expected. 3.5 Stars.
Author Interview!
Emily: How did you get the idea for this book? Nancy: Well there were thousands of books out there about Centaurs so I decided to jump on the bandwagon before I got left behind. Just kidding! I know what you’re thinking. Centaurs, really? I wanted to write a unique series, and let’s face it there are TONS of amazing books on Angels, Demons, Fairies, Vampires, Shapeshifters, etc. I hoped to write a series that others couldn’t easily compare to another. I hope I hit the mark! Emily: How come you added mythology to the story?Nancy: Greek Mythology and Roman Mythology has always been fascinating to me. I had an idea in my head but I hadn’t settled on the type of mythological creatures I wanted to incorporate. I began researching on the internet, at the library, talking to friends and one race seemed to be underserved and it helped that I loved the lore surrounding constellation: Sagittarius. This was how I settled on Centaurs. Emily: Can you explain what a blood debt really is for the readers?Nancy: You bet! In my Centaur world, the women are the leaders, they make the decisions and they are the most revered. The women are outnumbered five to one by men (the book explains why). Because of this abundance of men, the Centauride (female Centaur) chooses her mate/husband. If a Centauride were to become betrothed / engaged to a Centaur and then change her mind and break the engagement, no other Centauride would find this Centaur suitable. The thought process is that if he weren’t good enough for her, why would I want him? The act of breaking a betrothal is in essence a death sentence for the Centaur’s bloodline. A blood debt is owed to the jilted Centaur’s family for not permitting their bloodline to carry on. Emily: Which character do you relate to the most? Nancy: Wow, that’s a tough one! I think I relate to everyone except Zandra!! (Can you say pure evil?) Camille carries many of the personality traits of several of my closest girl friends. Daniel reminds me of a very good friend I had when I was younger. Writing Daniel’s character felt an awful lot like hanging out with that friend who I haven’t seen in years. Drake is a combination of the best personality traits in men I’ve known, too. Emily: Would you want to be Camille?Nancy: I’d love to find out that I had magical powers where I could read minds, see the future, move objects just with my thoughts and have tons of HAWT men vying for my attention. Who wouldn’t?? I think instead of being Camille, I’d really like to hang out with her for a couple weeks!!
About The Author:
Nancy: I LOVE Starbucks’ White Chocolate Mocha and Mountain Dew, (but not together). I have a lead foot so I set cruise control when I drive, even in 25 MPH zones. I almost never win when I play Angry Birds, but have my 8 year old close, so he can clear the hard levels for me. I grew up on a farm and am opposed to eating fresh chicken (not opposed to meat - just opposed to any meat that was alive a few hours
before lunch). I am a huge fan of the show, Big Bang Theory, on CBS. I have a stray cat that I feed every night and morning but she’s never let me get closer than within 3 feet of her – I keep thinking eventually I’ll wear her down and she’ll let me pet her. I share my life with two fantastic sons, three rotten dogs and a husband that I adore.