Sheltered by Debra Chapoton
Kindle Edition, 236 pages
Published August 5th 2012 by Big Pine Lodge Books
I won a print copy of this book in the author's blog giveaway.
Summary:
Living together unsupervised, five troubled teens confront demonic forces and are compelled to deal with their problems in distinctly different ways. Paranormal meets psycho meets Goth in this story of a supernatural haunting and budding love.High school junior, Ben, hacks into his step-father's real estate holdings and provides rooms in an old two-story house to various outcasts: the schizophrenic kid, the angry Goth girl, and the homeless girl who worships him. When Megan needs a place to live she comes to the rooming house with a different set of problems and the ability to confuse and attract Ben.One by one strange and mysterious occurrences stretch the teens’ beliefs in the supernatural. How they deal with demons, real and imagined, has tragic as well as redeeming consequences.
My Review:
This book is actually a really good read! I didn't think it would be this good. And to be honest, I was afraid that I would get scared when I read the summary, but it wasn't as scary as I thought. And that's a good thing.
I really liked the plot. I didn't get bored at all! I read this in one sitting. The characters are life-like to me; They deal with problems of their own, other than the supernatural stuff , that are problems that people actually have in real life.
I felt bad for Emily, probably because we share the same name, but I had no idea that she was cutting herself. When I read that part, I was shocked. I didn't think that she would do something like that. And people always thought of her as pathetic and that made me mad. I also know what she felt when Ben was with Megan and Emily liked Ben.
And Ben. He sounds like a total cutie with all his dimples and everything. I'm also glad that his mom is finally getting out of that drunken shell of hers and actually trying to get her old life and job back.
And Chuck and Adam. Wow. I never saw that coming.
I kinda didn't like Megan for a while, because of her and Ben and what it did to Emily, but now, I like her. I was so sad when I found out that she wouldn't get custody. I thought that she would be devastated.
Cory though, I'm so glad that she's getting her life back on track. She deserves it.
Overall, this is a great book! There were some things that I wasn't sure of. Did Chuck die? I didn't really understand that part, but I think he did since Emily talked to him with the Ouija board. And the Ouija board. Don't they understand that playing with that is dangerous?! I'd never play with that, you never know what could happen. Also, did Emily die? Oh well. I kinda want a sequel and I kinda don't. I'd like to know what happens to Ben and Megan and Cory. Also, I was wondering, why did everything start happening when Megan came? They had lived there for a long time, but why now? Oh well. 4 Stars!