Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass - Review


posted by Emily on , , , , , ,

No comments

7896527Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass 

Hardcover404 pages
Published August 7th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Children's (first published March 30th 2012)

Summary:

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin. Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom. 
Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best. 
Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. 
Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.

Review: 

I've been meaning to read this book for a very long time and now that I've had the chance, I know why everyone was raving about it!

The main character is Celaena Sardothien, a notorious serial killer who had been put in salt mines in Endovier as punishment. One day, she gets an offer that she can't refuse. Long story short, this book was all about her training and competing to be Ardalan's Assasain (a.k.a the person who will take care of killing the king's enemies) and mysterious murders that happen throughout the book. 

This book was as I expected it to be; It wasn't that good and it wasn't that bad. I didn't really feel that connected to Celaena though. Throughout the book, we are constantly reminded that she was a dangerous serial killer, but then we see her acting like a young girl, all giddy with her fancy dresses. Sure, maybe the author was trying to show that even though she murdered people, she was still a girl, but it was way too much girlyness for a famous murderer. 

Let's talk about the "romance". There wasn't much, but I was fine with it since I wasn't really expecting it. Okay, sorry not sorry, I was really shipping Celaena and Prince Dorian. I mean, who cares about Chaol (the captain of the guard) when there's Prince Dorian? Dorian was the definition of perfect.

But anyways, this book was a good read. Great to read when you need something while you're waiting for THE book to come out! And just saying,I am currently reading the second book at the moment and it does not even compare to this book. Least to say, I'm disappointed in that. 4 Stars!



Also, I'm so sorry if my reviews are coming late and/or seem sloppy and bad. I've just finally found time to review again and they may seem unprofessional since I haven't written a review in months! Anyways, thank you though!



Leave a Reply

Thanks so much by stopping by and leaving a comment! I love comments and I read everyone!

Powered by Blogger.